Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Caramel Apples ~ Dairy Free

Today I am so excited to be participating in The Improv Cooking Challenge with The Lady Behind the Curtain.  The challenge was to come up with any recipe that included caramel and apples! 

Fall is a fun time of the year to cook with caramel and apples.  In honor of our recent visit to the State Fair, I am posting my recipe for Milk Free Caramel Apples.  You can modify this recipe to suit your likings.  Just change the toppings around and Viola` you have a masterful creation!
I adapted a few of the caramel recipes I found on the web to make it safe for String Beane.  My version of Caramel Apples does not contain milk.  Whilst this is very important to me to make sure all the super cool things I covet and figure out how to make are safe for String Beane, it does not seem to be important to him.  When he gets home from school today, he is likely to look at the totally wonderful looking Caramel Apples and remind me that he does not like apples.  I don't think liking apples is the point of a yummy Caramel Apple.  The apple is just sort of the vessel necessary to hold the caramel and yummy toppings. 

  These Caramel Apples could have been a lot cuter if I had taken my time and gone to Wal mart to get some Halloween sprinkles and the little bottles that you can squirt melted chocolate out of.  I just used what I had here and made the caramel apples that I had been inspired to make.  Feel free to plan ahead and use really cool toppings for your Caramel Apples. 


I made three Caramel Apples because I had three apples.  Duh. 

Ingredients
Apples
1/2 cup butter (I used Fleishman's unsalted Margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Karo Syrup (I used dark because that was what I had here)

Toppings can be anything you want!  I used Semi Sweet chocolate chips, sprinkles, and marshmallows.

Directions
Heat the margarine, brown sugar and Karo syrup in a sauce pan until boiling.  Stir constantly.  Boil for 1-3 minutes. 

Dip and twist the apples around in the caramel until they are coated.  Roll the caramel dipped apple in the toppings. Place them on a plate lined with wax paper.  I found it the easiest to do one apple at a time so the caramel does not set too much for the toppings to stick. 

Chocolate Carmel with Marshmallows

Caramel with Semi Sweet chocolate Chips

Caramel with Sprinkles

I had a great time making these.  A few things to note:  I think I would have been happier with the end result if I had used a Green apple.  But it is hard to be impulsive if you go to the store and buy the proper ingredients.  I had red so I used red.  I also would have liked to have gotten some of the little squirt bottles and drizzled melted chocolate and butter scotch all over these.  As it stands, you can see with the chocolate caramel apple with marshmallows, I used a spoon and accidental dumped drizzled the chocolate caramel over the apple.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? 

I can't wait to see String Beane's reaction when he sees them. 

The Improve Cooking Challenge




25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Caramel apples are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for a recipe without milk, it's hard to find such recipes. And I love that you used sticks from outside.

    http://sisterswhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful to me. :) Love your photo shoot at the out door. That's one of the favorite things I love to do. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool. What a great fall treat and so unique and the combos are endless! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper! Have a blessed week :)

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this post... too funny. And I completely get the "covet" thing and Pinterest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most excellent recipe. I will certainly share it with the family. And don't be so hard on yourself. Covet has such negative connotations. Could it be that seeing so many creative and wonderful things inspires you to kick your own creativity up a notch? You certainly have the brains and the energy to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about caramel apples as a project with our sweet granddaughter Ava...I'll follow your recipe (I have to plan ahead; I don't have apples! :) ). I have a post of our recent tea, so this is our next project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic recipe! It looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Found you through Marvelously Messy and I love just using what I have in the fridge and pantry. No need to run to the store, use what you have! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post - I like the fact you made do with what you had instead of going out and buying just for the photos sake! I enjoyed reading this, your newest gfc follower, Karima
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look yummy! I love knowing that I can make them dairy free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look so yummy! Thanks for sharing this & your recipe at Weekend Craft Soiree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who cares what they look like? They taste delicious! Thanks for sharing this. I am craving one right now! :)
    Blessings,
    AlwaysSewLove

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy,

    hi new follower from hop pls follow me back via gfc, networkedblogs, fb and twitter

    http://queensnycmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think these look so cute and rustic with the twig instead of the popsicle stick. Yummy!

    Hopping over from Someday Crafts
    Amanda Joy
    www.joyinthejumble.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. how fab would these be as wedding favors? i am inspired i love them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am hoping I can forget about my drool now. I love caramel apples in the fall and have never tried to make my own. It sounds so easy. I have all the ingredients too. Yikes.

    New Follower, www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't necessarily covet, but do think how did I not think of doing that! Especially the really easy cute stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so yummy & cute too.I'm the link behind you on Haute Stuff Thursday's link party.
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great thing about fall: caramel apples! These all look great! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is no better treat than a Caramel Apple and yours look great! Sure hope you saved one for me. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi I justed loved this so I featured it for WorkShop Wednesday! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete